As we know from recent events, there is not a neighborhood that is immune from the criminal activity that is sweeping our County. I thought that it would be a good time to share some safety tips. Working with the Public Information Office for the Wilmington Police Department, we put together the following list of safety tips. We hope that you find them useful.
In case of emergency call 911.
Neighborhood Safety Tips
- Be alert and aware of your surroundings.
- Do not walk or run with earplugs.
- If out after dark, carry a flashlight.
- Keep cell phones hidden.
- Be wary of the individual asking for the time, use of cell phone or anything that will divert your attention.
- Report all suspicious individuals by calling 911.
Holiday Safety Tips
- Walk in pairs and in well lighted areas. Avoid walking in dark alleys and dark walkways.
- Walk with a partner. If working late or enjoying the festivities in the downtown area, call for a safety escort to your car or bus
stop, 7 days a week until 11:30pm (302) 425-4200, ext. 1.
- Before using an ATM, make sure the area has appropriate lighting and a trusted partner is close by while making the transaction.
Look around to assure you are alone at the machine.
- While shopping, avoid loading up on multiple bags as they can be cumbersome and lead to unwanted attention.
- Pocket Books should be carried over the shoulder as they would make for a difficult target for criminals.
- While approaching your vehicle, use the emergency button on your remote to ward off any unseen persons that maybe targeting
your vehicle for possible theft. This will also help if you feel threatened by anyone.
- Always have a fully charged cell phone handy.
- Make sure all identification is up to date and avoid carrying heavy wallets and pocketbooks that draw attention.
- Plan your holiday shopping trip in advance. Make a list and plan the quickest and safest route to your destination.
Vehicle Safety Tips
- When possible park your vehicle in a well-lit area.
- Lock all doors and ensure windows are closed.
- Hide GPSs, iPods, or other easily removable electronic devices in the trunk, glove box, or under the seat. Remember, "out of sight,
out of mind."
- Avoid leaving purses, backpacks, packages, or other items in plain view.
- Conceal any loose coins or other currency.